RE: heading elements (h#) in tables?

From: Léonie Watson <lwatson@nomensa.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 13:49:15 +0100
To: Harry Loots <harry.loots@ieee.org>, Jeff Orchard <porch@sympatico.ca>
CC: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Harry Loots wrote:
"it seems to me that the table has been structured incorrectly, and hence the reading of columns, all belong to one header.
The Header "State Revenue" for example, should span the rows, as opposed to the columns, then the correct column names will be associated with the data. Using Headings, will not remove the confusion."

    I believe that introducing headings in this context would confuse the situation. The accepted order of content is a heading, followed by some content. Adding headings into the table header would break this convention from a screen reader user's perspective.

Regards,
Léonie.

--
Nomensa - humanising technology

Léonie Watson, Director of Accessibility & Web Development

tel: +44 (0)117 929 7333
twitter: @we_are_Nomensa @LeonieWatson

it seems to me that the table has been structured incorrectly, and hence the reading of columns, all belong to one header.

The Header "State Revenue" for example, should span the rows, as opposed to the columns, then the correct column names will be associated with the data.
Using Headings, will not remove the confusion.

Kind regards
Harry