Re: 1.4.1 clarification

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Gavin Thomas <Gavin.Thomas@uwe.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm having problems assessing against success criteria 1.4.1 Use of color

"Color is not used as the only visual means of conveying information,
indicating an action, prompting a response, or distinguishing a visual
element. (Level A)"

…

> Would fail a link which has a visual cue on focus?
>

> Am I missing something?

Sufficient techniques are advisory only; they do not impact WCAG conformance.

The language "visual cue" is fairly ambiguous.

Is which link has keyboard focus clear in the absence of color information?

For example, by default user agents tend to outline focused links with
a box. That's a visual cue that independent of color, whereas (say)
changing the color of focused link text is not.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis