Re: Web Accessibility Evaluation and Testing

there are no accessible pages
there are no usable pages

there are pages that are accessible to a person, in an environment (physical and technical), carrying out a task.
	- in fact that is the only way you can determine that something is "accessible" in the absolute.
	- that same page may be in accessible to the same person in a different environment (physical or accessible)

the exact same paragraph can be repeated here for usability.

WCAG 2.0 conformance (even Level AAA) (Even Level AAA and all advisory techniques) will not result in an accessible page.
WCAG 2.0 conformance only means that a page has met a set of accessibility criteria.   Think of it as a 'minimum level' of accessibility.   or better yet  "A minimum set of criteria that a group of people - with input from a broad audience - agreed upon."

WCAG 2.0 conformance does not guarantee accessibility to all people in all environment doing all tasks.  In fact there are few that could use a WCAG 2.0 page in all environments - and they are probably deaf-blind -  and would have difficulty.

Usability and accessibility are part of the same dimensions.  Yes plural.    Neither is linear.  But there are no accessible pages that are unusable and no unusable pages that are accessible.  (Note I did not use WCAG 2.0 in this sentence.  See paragraphs above and below. )

Most of the controversy and/or confusion in this area comes from people assuming something along the lines of  "WCAG 2.0 conformant mean accessible."   or   "Accessible means usable."
Many define "Accessible" as meaning "no harder than it is for people without disability".    In fact - in developing WCAG 2.0 we tried to limit ourselves to parity and not stray into usability.   It only had to be "as usable" for people with disabilities as without (or at least that was the ideal).     However, we were defining WCAG 2.0 conformance - not accessibility as an absolute.

It is too bad that we see studies that say WCAG 2.0 is not good because conformance does not render pages that are unusable (or quite unusable ) to everyone as being usable to people with disabilities.      WCAG 2.0 does not render pages usable.  It does not even render pages accessible.    It does provide an objective minimum standard for accessibility (here meaning a minimum objective standard for comparable usability) (at 3 levels) that was developed through international participation, input and review, that, when followed, will provide a substantial level of accessibility when used with effective user agents, and for some, effective assistive technologies.    For others it is not sufficient to provide accessibility - (though with better assistive technologies it will over time provide increasing levels of accessibility to increasing numbers of people with different types, degrees and combinations of disability --  people who are not well served by WCAG 2.0 and assistive technologies today.)

Finally, it is important to note that relatively few of the  WCAG 2.0 provisions make things more accessible directly - and many or most of them are for cognitive, language, and learning disabilities.  Most of the provisions make pages more usable with assistive technologies.     As we develop better assistive technologies for some disabilities, (particularly cognitive, language, and learning disabilities ) pages conforming to WCAG 2.0 will become increasingly accessible to these groups.    Some of these assistive technologies however will require considerable research and development.   Due to the size of this population we should be lobbying for increased research in these areas.   It is in fact some of the most challenging and interesting areas scientifically for research - and some of the most needed.

(these comments are mine and not the WCAG 2.0 working groups)

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering