From:   Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
To:     w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Date:   06/16/2011 10:01 AM
Subject:        RE: Question re: WCAG2.0, Requirement 3.3.2
Sent by:        w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org

[Phil wrote]
Ø  Screen readers today can determine which is the correct label by either
guessing or by the author correctly marking up the label so that it is
programmatically determinable (recommended),

I have to disagree with this.  A screen reader guessing at a label is not
sufficient and often not correct – I see this fail almost every day.

Explicit labels, titles, ARIA or some other assistive technology supported
definitive way is required for WCAG 2 conformance to 1.3.1 or 4.1.2.
Implicit labeling or guessing is not sufficient in my review of WCAG 2.

Jonathan