Re: Question re: WCAG2.0, Requirement 3.3.2

Hi Phil,

On Wed, 15 Jun 2011 09:01:11 +0200, Phil Evans <pae9@star.le.ac.uk> wrote:
> "3.3.2 Labels or Instructions: Labels or instructions are provided when
> content requires user input. (Level A) "
>
> This seems straightforward enough. However, following via the link "How
> to meet 3.3.2" leads to the page:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20101014/H44
>
> which includes the line, 'Note that the label is positioned after input
> elements of type="checkbox" and type="radio".'
>
> It is not clear to me whether this is a *requirement* or not (although
> the validator I am using assumes it is). That is, is the following part
> of a form OK or not?

The text is part of an old requirement (written when implementation of
<label> wasn't very good) which called for *consistent* placement of
labels in relation to controls, and suggested that the *common* pattern
for checkboxes was to place text after them.

While you should certainly ensure that you layout is consistent, I don't
think you need to worry so much whether your labels are typically before
or after the thing they are labeling (so long as they have proper markup
they are likely to be useful in most modern software).

IMHO, of course

cheers

Chaals