DataTables Javascript module and accessibility

From: Allan Jardine <allan.jardine@sprymedia.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:45:45 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Hello all,

I'm the author of an Javascript based HTML table "enhancing" plug-in for jQuery called DataTables ( http://datatables.net  ). I'm interested in increasing the accessibility of the module, and it's various controls using WAI-ARIA.

Although I am a Javascript developer and know some of the basics of accessibility, I'm not certain what should be implemented in order to make the accessibility features actually useful. I'm sure I could just stick some WAI-ARIA attributes into DataTables and call it done, but I would be worried about hindering more than helping, which isn't what I want to achieve!

Is there a list of consultants / freelancers maintained who know ARIA well and might be open to discussing this with me to provide some guidance? More generally, are there any recommendations for how a Javascript module might be tested for accessibility once suitable attributes are added?

Many thanks,
Allan

Allan Jardine
w | www.sprymedia.co.uk