Re: Costs of Accessibility?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 05:42:23 +0100
To: "Lainey Feingold" <LF@lflegal.com>, "Sandi Wassmer" <sandi@copious.co.uk>
Cc: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 00:34:51 +0100, Sandi Wassmer <sandi@copious.co.uk>

> Although I run a web design agency based in London, fluctuating exchange
> rate issues aside, these are the "loaded" questions that I am
> consistently asked and am loathe to answer broadly as these vary from
> project to project based on...[stuff]
> As a rule of thumb, the creation of a standards compliant, accessible
> website should be the expectation that any client should have...
> However, in order to provide some sort of table of indices, may I
> suggest to set out a few different scenarios and provide associated cost
> ranges in order to demonstrate the sliding scale from a static HTML site
> to a transactional website that also captures personal sensitive data
> and a few other types in between?
> I would be more than happy to throw some ideas together into a
> spreadsheet if this would be useful.

Yeah, I think this is actually an extremely useful exercise. Ideally,
finding some real projects and putting together some real costs would show
the sort of thing that is required.

I realise this is also a non-trivial amount of work, since the data starts
as being commercial-in-confidence and is probably not accounted for in the
way we are hoping to see it.