W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > October to December 2010

Re: Accessible Captcha

From: Katherine Mancuso <kmancuso@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2010 09:48:21 -0700
Message-ID: <AANLkTikwJ2HdNZVVwKietawaoAapy4zPiqsve3rvck+M@mail.gmail.com>
To: "Northcut, Kathryn" <northcut@mst.edu>
Cc: Gijs Veyfeyken <gijs@anysurfer.be>, Maggie Thomson <Maggie@bunnyfoot.com>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, Matthias Vandermaesen <matthias.Vandermaesen@krimson.be>
Well, there's been a lot of discussions in accessibility circles about this
topic in the past. I just grabbed some links from accessibility pros I
recognize from a quick google search that might make interesting reading for
anyone intrigued:

Here's an old W3C  note on the topic: http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/ (a
blog post summarizing is here:
http://www.standards-schmandards.com/2005/captcha/)

Jim Thatcher on the subject, comparing several types of CAPTCHAs:
http://jimthatcher.com/captchas.htm

Gez Lemon/Juicy Studio:
http://juicystudio.com/article/accessibility-of-captcha.php

CAPTCHA is bad for accessibility - 456 Berea St:
http://www.456bereastreet.com/archive/200512/captcha_is_bad_for_accessibility/

A WebAXE podcast with a lot of references to useful links on the topic:
http://webaxe.blogspot.com/2007/02/podcast-40-about-captcha-and.html


On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 9:28 AM, Northcut, Kathryn <northcut@mst.edu> wrote:

>  Nope.
>
>
>
> On new, standard PC equipment including external Dell speakers with volume
> controls, I was only able to hear two of the three words and thus, I assume,
> would not have “passed” the captcha.  Seems very unusable to me – having
> full range of hearing and corrected vision, good typing on full keyboard,
> all the advantages. The background noise was definitely an issue.
>
>
>
> Thanks for posting. I find this very interesting.
>
>
>
> *Kathryn Northcut***
>
> *Director, Technical Communication Programs*
>
> *Missouri University of Science and Technology*
>
> *500 W 14th St HSS 216*
>
> *Rolla MO 65409-0560*
>
> *573-341-4687**
> **northcut@mst.edu*
>
>
>
> *From:* w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] *On
> Behalf Of *Gijs Veyfeyken
> *Sent:* Thursday, November 04, 2010 11:22 AM
> *To:* kmancuso@gmail.com
> *Cc:* Maggie Thomson; w3c-wai-ig@w3.org Group list; Matthias Vandermaesen
> *Subject:* Re: Accessible Captcha
>
>
>
> This is an example of an audiocaptcha from ReCaptcha I recorded from the
> site TrueTwit yesterday:
>
>
>
> http://audio.anysurfer.be/audiocaptcha_reCaptcha_truetwit.mp3
>
>
>
> Can you understand it?
>
>
>
> The reason I mentioned Mollom is because they use the phonetic alphabet
> (Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Victor, ...), which is cristal clear, and don't add
> background noise.
>
>
>
> Kind regards,
>
>
>
> Gijs
>
>
>
> ---
> Gijs Veyfeyken
> AnySurfer - Belgian quality label for accessible websites
> A project of Blindenzorg Licht en Liefde vzw
> Kunstlaan 24 box 21
> 1000 Brussels
> phone 0032 (0)2 21 06 149
> mobile  0032 (0)471 98 05 71
>
>
>
> Op 4-nov-2010, om 16:54 heeft Katherine Mancuso het volgende geschreven:
>
>
>
>  I've heard good things about the accessibility of ReCaptcha: can anyone
> comment on whether this is true?
>
> Katherine
>
> On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 5:32 AM, Gijs Veyfeyken <gijs@anysurfer.be> wrote:
>
> Dear Maggie,
>
>
>
> Mollom (http://www.mollom.com) is the most accessible audiocaptcha I know
> of.
>
> I recently put up a WordPress blog with the Mollom captcha for test
> purposes:
>
>
>
> http://gijs.anysurfer.be/wordpress/
>
>
>
> Put the word "SPAM" in the commentfield and submit the comment to trigger
> the captcha.
>
>
>
> Kind regards,
>
>
>
> Gijs
>
>
>
> ---
> Gijs Veyfeyken
> AnySurfer - Belgian quality label for accessible websites
> A project of Blindenzorg Licht en Liefde vzw
> Kunstlaan 24 box 21
> 1000 Brussels Belgium
>
> phone 0032 (0)2 21 06 149
> mobile  0032 (0)471 98 05 71
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Op 4-nov-2010, om 12:48 heeft Maggie Thomson het volgende geschreven:
>
>
>
>
>
> Hi all
>
>
>
> Does anyone have an example of a website where a  Captcha implementation
>  is done well, in terms of accessibility.
>
>
>
> Much appreciated
>
>
>
> Maggie
>
>
>  ------------------------------
>
> This message is private and confidential. If you have received this email
> by mistake, please tell Bunnyfoot and remove the message from your systems.
> Even though we do our best, we can’t absolutely guarantee that Bunnyfoot
> emails and their attachments will arrive squeaky clean. You should check
> them to protect your data and systems. The information in this main message
> is not a Bunnyfoot company policy or contractual agreement unless explicitly
> described as a contract or policy.
>
> Bunnyfoot is a limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered
> number: 03916863. Registered office: Harwell Innovation Centre, 173 Curie
> Avenue, Harwell, Oxfordshire, OX11 0QG.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Katherine Mancuso: crusader of community art, social technology, &
> disability
>
> Current work:
> Walt Disney Imagineering & Parks and Resorts Online, Intern (work:
> accessibility evangelism & interactive projects)
>
> Research:
> Center for Assistive Technology & Environmental Access (
> http://www.catea.org)
> Georgia Tech, Digital Media (http://dm.gatech.edu)
>
> Community:
> The Vesuvius Group: metaverse community builders (
> http://www.thevesuviusgroup.com)
> Gimp Girl Community Liaison/Research Fellow (http://www.gimpgirl.com)
> Alternate ROOTS: arts*community*activism (http://www.alternateroots.org)
>
> Contact in the web, the metaverse, the world:
> http://twitter.com/musingvirtual
> http://muse.dreamwidth.org
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathymancuso
> SL: Muse Carmona
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
>



-- 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katherine Mancuso: crusader of community art, social technology, &
disability

Current work:
Walt Disney Imagineering & Parks and Resorts Online, Intern (work:
accessibility evangelism & interactive projects)

Research:
Center for Assistive Technology & Environmental Access (http://www.catea.org
)
Georgia Tech, Digital Media (http://dm.gatech.edu)

Community:
The Vesuvius Group: metaverse community builders (
http://www.thevesuviusgroup.com)
Gimp Girl Community Liaison/Research Fellow (http://www.gimpgirl.com)
Alternate ROOTS: arts*community*activism (http://www.alternateroots.org)

Contact in the web, the metaverse, the world:
http://twitter.com/musingvirtual
http://muse.dreamwidth.org
http://www.linkedin.com/in/kathymancuso
SL: Muse Carmona
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Received on Thursday, 4 November 2010 16:49:11 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 19 July 2011 18:14:35 GMT