Re: Microsoft PowerPoint accessibility

Hi Wayne
I think you may have misunderstood the point I was making.

Title text, being only of use to some users of AT, should never be relied on
to explain the purpose of a link, and should be done away with as it is
misused and relied on to provide information which may only benefit a small
proportion of users.
Adequately describing the purpose of the link should always take precedence
over relying on the 'title' attribute to explain the purpose of the link. If
the link remains obscure and cannot be determined by means of context, and
by context i'm referring to the environment and surrounding information
which may give a clue to sighted users as to its context), then a piece of
hidden text (eg: <span>This link blah blah blah</span>) can be used to
explain the meaning to users of speech-readers (hide it from sighted users).

I should not confuse techniques used for the 'alt' attribute with techniques
used for the 'title' attribute. ALT is intended to provide textual
equivalent of information displayed by means of images, etc. Title is not,
and has never been, intended to be used as 'text alternatives'. The  'title'
attrbute is intended to provide additional, clarifying or advisory
information and can be used with many different elements, including tables,
anchors, span, input, etc.

The title attribute is only ever read by a small proportion of users.
Keyboard users will never see the title attribute. Screen readers have a
setting to read 'link description' (the text inside <a>...</a> element), or
the title attribute, or the longer of these two. The default is 'link
description' and in working with users who use speech readers i have yet to
come across a user who had this set up to read anything other than 'link
description'. So, while it may be useful to some users to use the title
attribute to provide additional advisory information (according to HTML
spec), it may never be seen by the majority of users to your site.

Kind regards
Harry