Re: technique G83

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Bart Simons <bart.simons@anysurfer.be> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like some clarification about technique G83: Providing text
> descriptions to identify required fields that were not completed
>
> Quote from description:
> "Another approach, using server-side validation, is to re-display the form
> (including any previously entered data), with either a text description at
> the location of the omitted mandatory field, *or* a text description that
> identifies the omitted mandatory fields."
>
> Quote from Examples:
> "Using server-side validation, the omission is detected and the form is
> re-displayed with a text description at the top informing which mandatory
> fields were omitted. Each omitted mandatory field is *also* identified using
> a text label so that the user does not have to return to the list at the top
> of the form to find the omitted fields."
>
> In the first quote the option is left open to display the error message at
> the top of the form or inline. In the second both are required.
>
> Concrete case:
> - a form has 3 mandatory fields
> - after submitting the empty form, it is redisplayed with an error message
> displayed next to each mandatory field.
> - there is no alert box and no error message at the top of the form.
>
> Does this pass SC3.3.1 Error Identification: If an input error is
> automatically detected, the item that is in error is identified and the
> error is described to the user in text?
>
> The test procedure is not very explicit:
> "Check that a text description is provided identifying the mandatory
> field(s) that was not completed."
>
> Thanks
>
> Bart Simons
> --
> AnySurfer - Quality mark for accessible websites in Belgium
> http://www.anysurfer.be

================================
Response from the Working Group
================================
Because the errors in your example are identified and described to the
user in text, it sounds as though what you describe would pass.
However, best practice would be to also include a message or alert as
some users may not be aware that an error has occurred and could
assume that the form is not functioning correctly.

It is also best practice to include an error notification in the page
title (title element) since a screen reader user is likely to believe
the page was submitted correctly and continue to navigate to another
page as soon as the new page is returned instead of reading the main
content area of the page again. We will add an advisory technique and
a note that describes this.

Loretta Guarino Reid, WCAG WG Co-Chair
Gregg Vanderheiden, WCAG WG Co-Chair
Michael Cooper, WCAG WG Staff Contact