Re: Color coding

From: Matthew Smith <matt@smiffytech.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:16:12 +1030
To: Ginger Claassen <ginger.claassen@gmx.de>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Quoth Ginger Claassen at 16/02/10 20:04...
> I have a small problem. Currently I am working on my website and I was
> thinking about color coding the links on the site - one color for
> external links and one for links to content on my site. If the contrast
> is sufficient enough staying in the suggested range would this still be
> accessible for people who suffering from color blindness?

I am not an expert on colour-blindness, but would suspect that this
would not be clear.  If you can, try viewing the page on a monochrome
monitor, where the different colours would be different shades of grey.

I know I'm out of date and still using WCAG 10, but:

<http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#gl-color>

If you are trying to make a visual differentiation, why not style the
link in a way which makes this more obvious, such as with a background
image?  A good example of this is that employed by Wikipedia - look at
the external links at the bottom of articles.

But the biggest issue that springs to mind is what happens in a
non-visual context?  How are you going to convey this information to
screen reader users, for instance?  Just something else to consider.

Cheers

Matthew Smith
Business:      http://www.smiffytech.com/
Blog/personal: http://www.smiffysplace.com/