RE: high contrast and background images

From: Jonathan Avila <jon.avila@ssbbartgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:18:56 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Chris Reeve Wrote:

“Cindy, I do not know enough about what Roger is talking about. But I do
know, that when you use a background image; it is impossible to use an alt
tag. Therefore by default; all alt background images will fail 1.1.1

This information came to me from an accessibility seminar I attended last
year.”

CSS background sprites are used to reduce the number of image files
transferred and thus speed of page load times for many users.  A small
portion of a background image can more easily be shown in a certain element
and thus a single background image can contain many of the images to be
shown on the page. There are many good techniques out there to couple text
and alternative text to the area where the background image appears.  The
technique developers need to use will allow this text to appear in place of
the background image when high contrast is used.

Jonathan