RE: high contrast and background images

There was an article posted recently about this very issue (high-contrast):

http://www.artzstudio.com/2010/04/img-sprites-high-contrast/

The original technique is explained here (it mentions other
accessibility/usability issues):

http://tjkdesign.com/articles/tip.asp

The only problem I see with this method is that the sprite does not belong
to the styles sheet but is embedded into the HTML.

If there is no versioning of the image then it's not a problem, but if there
is versioning then it means authors have to edit many documents (unless they
keep the file path as a variable).

Two other advantages of this technique:

1.       it does *not* rely on negative text-indent so when images are not
available the text is visible within the viewport.

2.       When users highlight content (i.e., ctrl + A or cmd + A) images
(*unlike* background images) appears as selected.

--

Regards,

Thierry

www.tjkdesign.com |  <http://www.ez-css.org> www.ez-css.org |