HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives

From: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 11:51:25 +0100
To: W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, WAI Interest Group <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Cc: HTMLWG WG <public-html@w3.org>, WebAIM Discussion List <webaim-forum@list.webaim.org>, wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
HTML5: Techniques for providing useful text alternatives
http://dev.w3.org/html5/alt-techniques/

This document is a work in progress currently edited by me, I
encourage anyone with an interest to contribute to its development.

Document aims:
* Provide clear and practical advice on how to  provide appropriate
text alternatives for images using currently supported  techniques
* How to make use of the new features available in HTML5 and WAI-ARIA
for providing text alternatives.
* Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of each technique in
reference to browser and assistive technology support.
* Provide normative rules for each technique in regards to whether its
correct use results in a conforming HTML5 document.
* Harmonization of HTML5 document conformance in regards to image text
alternatives with WCAG 2.0.

The document has been put forward as a First Public Working Draft in
the W3C HTML WG, it is expected this initial publication will occur
next month.

How you can help:

If you are not a member of the W3C HTML WG:
Email the HTML WG public comments list: public-html-comments@w3.org
Email me: faulkner.steve@gmail.com

Or preferably

File a bug

If you are a member of the HTML WG email the list or me  or preferably
file a bug http://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?product=HTML%20WG&component=alt%20techniques%20(editor:%20Steven%20Faulkner)

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner