Re: How competent must people be to use the Web?

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 21:25:22 +0000
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Michael S Elledge wrote:

> representative set of skill levels. In most cases that will include
> novices as well as more expert users of adaptive technology. We collect

I don't think he was particularly talking about adaptive technology
users.  I think he was talking about people who don't belong to the
computer using generation, and maybe also young people with cognitive

As well as physical disabilities age, in particular, brings a difficulty
in learning new technology, a fear of breaking things, and a lack of
prior experience of that technology.

> Perhaps I've missed your point, but I think the key is not to determine
> which level of competence is necessary for people to use websites built
> to WCAG 2.0 guidelines, but to identify which implementations of those
> guidelines work best for persons with disabilities.

I'd agree that, for web sites designed for accessibility, the need for
education is a negative quality indicator.

David Woolley