Re: Using numbered list element for navigation bars

Richard Warren wrote:
> We came across a website that used the numbered list element <ol> for
> its navigation bars (numbers hidden by CSS). It was really useful for
> our blind colleague who was able to identify how many links in the bar,
> whereabouts he was within the bar and, more easily remember where the
> useful links were. There was no difference to visual users
>
> I can't see any disadvantages to using the numbered list element for
> navigation bars and wonder if it should be a recommendation to improve
> accessibility for blind users - i.e. does it really help all users of
> screen readers or will some people find it annoying?

Using lists for navigation bars is a tried and tested technique that's
been used for many years and is recommended best practice across most,
if not all, sites that use web standards / css layouts. The may be a
tiny argument about whether you want an ordered list (which implies an
order/hierarchy) or unordered list (which, in a screenreader, may not
announce what list item you're on, just the total number of items at the
start).

Patrick H. Lauke

http://webstandards.org/