Re: SVG: Accessible Forms

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 18:59:11 +0600
To: "\\"~":'' ありがとうございました <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>;, "\\"~":"www-svg <www-svg@w\"3.org>, www-forms@w3.org, \"Web <Accessibilty\"" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>;, "\\"~":wai-xtech@w3.org;
Trimmed the cc-list a bit. It was really a bit over the top...

On Tue, 01 Sep 2009 18:40:51 +0600, ~:'' ありがとうございました
<j.chetwynd@btinternet.com> wrote:

> SVG: Accessible Forms
>
> What action is being taken to develop an accessible input form** for SVG?

Integrating aria into SVG

> 	can and will it be implemented by UA developers?

We believe it can be implemented - we worked quite hard on changing ARIA
last year to make sure it would be possible to integrate it in both SVG
and HTML (which hda quite different requirements).

> 	how long will we have to wait?

I don't know. We don't have a running implementation to show, but I am
hoping for it to be available sooner rather than later.

> 	will it be easy for authors to use?

Yes. For most controls, you do something like

  <g aria-role="date-picker">
    <!-- some SVG to draw a date picker -->
  </g>

  <g aria-role="checkbox" aria-state="checked">
    <!-- something to click on and a link to a small script library that
stores whether it was clicked, and updates the ARIA accordingly -->
  </g>

> **Input forms are the primary means that users have to purposefully and
> intentionally input information.

indeed.

> the SVG example from the XForms test suite has only very partially been
> implemented by the popular browsers:

The problem as I see it is that we have not seen sufficient demand for
Xforms to implement it (which means we haven't even started to test the
quality issues you talk about).

> 	furthermore it is significantly harder for an author to implement than
> html forms.

Yes - although it gives more power. So far, ease of authoring seems to be
more important.

> 	Do Xforms need to be explicitly focusable?
> 		my example uses anchors....

Form controls should in general. Using ARIA should mean the User Agent
automatically makes them focusable.

cheers

Chaals