Re: Text links 2.4.4 with PDF's

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:22:11 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On 10 Aug 2009, at 14:52, Chris Reeve wrote:

> Some destination sites do not have the associated pdf icon. The only
> have a link to their  PDF. Their site which links to the PDF does
> comply with 2.4.4. About an hour ago, I mentioned I was advised by a
> previous Working Group to the html/text version. Another Working
> Group suggested to link directly to the PDF.
>
> One member of the Working Group said it depends on the fact if the
> individual who is disabled is at an disadvantage rather than someone
> who is not. The interpertation from the Working Group was if the
> visitor who was not disabled read the same context as inteded, than
> an individual with a disability will not be at a disadvantage.

Unless you've been in communication with the working group as well
(and I don't think you have, since I think I recognize all the
comments you paraphrase above from earlier in this and related thread)
 the comments you have received have been from Interest Group members
(who may also be Working Group members, but I don't believe they were
speaking as such).

They are giving you an informed opinion, not a working group ruling.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk