Re: Text links 2.4.4 with PDF's

At 20:49 7/08/2009, Phill Jenkins wrote:

>Richard wrote:
>
>":...I only see a small portion of the screen at any one time and do
>not get a staus bar at the bottom (my whole screen is focused on a
>small area."
>
>True
>
>" I thus have no way of knowing that the link is to anything other
>than a HTML file."
>
>False.  Most all screen magnifiers and screen readers have a way,
>hot key, to jump and read the status line.  The status line is a
>known part of the user interface and its contents can be
>accessed.  Yes there are problems with so called moving content in
>the status line, but that is a different issue.

Even so, you can't assume that the URL will tell you if the target of
a link is HTML or PDF. Some URL's don't end with a file name
extension. (For example, many PDF files on the European Commission's
website have a URL that says nothing about the file type.)

And even if the file type is reflected in the URL, it's easy enough
to overlook it when you are in a hurry.

(But providing a warning about the file type is not required for
conformance, as many others have already pointed out.)

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe