From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org
To: WAI Interest Group
Sent: Fri Aug 07 10:41:56 2009
Subject: Re: Text links 2.4.4 with PDF's

Dear Andrew

Ah - Ah - that old chestnut - "a disabled person must not be disadvantaged more than a non-disabled person - so if everyone is disadvantaged the same way it is not an accessibility issue". Here we could have a long and interesting discussion on this philosophical (sp!) point, but if we just concentrate on the link text issue I will explain my reasoning that poorly written link text does disadvantage some disabled users more than non-disabled users.

When a sighted user with a standard web browser focuses on a link using a mouse or keyboard the destination of the link is presented in the status bar at the bottom of the browser. This destination includes the document type extension (usually HTML, but in our case it would be PDF). Thus, as a sighted user, I can see that the link I am focused on goes to a file named "Report.pdf". I can therefore deduce that the destination is a PDF file and can avoid it if I have a slow connection.

Now if I have very limited vision and use an application such as Zoomtext I only see a small portion of the screen at any one time and do not get a staus bar at the bottom (my whole screen is focused on a small area. I thus have no way of knowing that the link is to anything other than a HTML file.

Now if I have no vision and use a basic screen reader to list out the links on the page I hear just the link text. You might argue that most screen readers also read out the detination file name, but I am not sure that this is universally so

Now if I have no vision and use a braille pad I only get one line at a time so I only get the link text as you would see it on the screen. I am no braille expert so someone who knows better may know if the destination file name itself can be read out before a link is selected but I have not seen it happen myself.

Now supposing I have good vision but am new to the web, or have learning dificulties, or am just too impatient to check the bottom of the browser every time I select a link - well perhaps I am streatching the point here.  I am sure others can think of more, better examples.

HOWEVER -  if you are using a PDA or mobile phone does the destination file name appear on the screen? I think not (at least not on my daughters mobile). So here you can claim that everyone is disadvantaged eqallly and your point is valid - on condition that both the disabled person and the non-disabled person only have access to a mobile phone. But in this case you would need to claim in your compliance certificate that the site was only to be used on mobile phone technology (Remember the "baseline technology" concept)

Have a nice weekend

Richard