  From: Phill Jenkins
  To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
  Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 9:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Consistent ID (3.2.4), Link Purpose (2.4.4), and Multiple Ways (2.4.5)

  Chris Reeve write:
  ". . . My boss does not want me to show "PDF", "Text", "Word", "Powerpoint", in the text link."

  hmm, why do you want to hide the text "PDF", "Text", "Word", or "PowerPoint"?  Do not all users need to know which format they are clicking on?

  Are you talking about replacing the text with icons for "PDF", "Text", "Word", or "PowerPoint"?

  Or did you mean to say you want to hide the repetitive part of the resource title, such as "history of the Web" in the link text in more than one link such as "History of the Web in PDF format", "History of the Web in Word format", :"History of the Web in PowerPoint format", etc.?

  Using technique C7 to hide the repetitive part only of the text in the resource title would seem to meet the success criteria to me for 2.4.9 Level AAA.
   C7 http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/NOTE-WCAG20-TECHS-20081211/C7.html

  My concern is that what is the measured benefit of using C7?  I would think (though I have no data) that the bigger problem is this and most examples is with the user's understanding of the difference between PDF, Word, and HTML.  Microsoft PowerPoint or any other presentation format would look and feel different, but kinda hard to tell the difference between the same content in PDF, Word or HTML - the only difference is usually in the chrome around the content.   I believe we offer different format types because many user do in fact know the difference and want that particular format for assumed reasons that are later verified upon downloading and examining the resource. In my opinion adding repetitive link text does NOT make the difference between the format types any clearer or help the user any more to decide which to click on.   Good thing 2.4.9 is level AAA.

  Regards,
  Phill Jenkins