Re: Form Tags incorrect

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 21:41:52 +0100
To: 'wai-ig list' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Andy Laws wrote:

> I have take over some code that was written a few years ago and the
> purpose is to generate a static html form
> this allows our company to give the clients a flat file form with js
> validation rules embedded into it
>
> i was horrified to see the following
> name=agdMailRowValue1 FormValidator="M-TXT-12" FormPrompt="Klantnummer"

I'm not sure that this is actually illegal.  These attributes are only
used for scripting, and HTML renderers are expected to ignore unknown
attributes and the tags of unknown elements.  I would be pretty sure
that it would be legal to access these from DOM 2, although the battle
for DOM 2 is more or less lost (e.g. see current threads on the SVG
list).  I'm not sure whether DOM 0 specifies that attributes of the
element become attributes of the corresponding object, but I'm not quite
sure where the definitive specification of DOM 0 is, even though most
designers use DOM 0 extensively.

If the form doesn't work with scripting off, you have a real problem.
If all it needs is a modified DTD, to make the attributes legal, it may
not be much of a problem, unless the scripting assumes the attributes
appear on the objects and DOM 0 doesn't guarantee that.

--
David Woolley