Re: Alt tags, Title Tags, and 4.1.2

From: William R Williams <wrwilliams@fs.fed.us>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 09:58:49 -0700
To: 508 <508@Access-Board.gov>, public-comments-wcag20@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org, w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org
If you're following the HTML 4.01 Specification

Forms in HTML documents

17.4.1 Control types created with INPUT
Creates a graphical submit button. The value of the src attribute
specifies the URI of the image that will decorate the button. For
accessibility reasons, authors should provide alternate text for the image
via the alt attribute.

7 The global structure of an HTML document

7.4.3 The title attribute
Attribute definitions
title = text [CS]
This attribute offers advisory information about the element for which it
is set.

And I wonder if the value of the title attribute is really advisory in
this case, or simply provides alternative text. If so, it makes sense to
use alt as in Example 2c.

Bill Williams

Chris Reeve <chrisreeve15@yahoo.com>
Sent by: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org
07/24/2009 08:14 PM

508 <508@Access-Board.gov>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Alt tags, Title Tags,  and 4.1.2

I have a document with an image and an alt tag. See example 2c
Is the title field mandatory as suggested in 2d, 2e, or do I pass with
example 2c?