Re: accessibility supported questions

Hi, Phill.

If I understand your answer, it doesn't matter for compliance if there
is assistive technology that is able to interpret that content. So the
content can comply, but nobody can access it? If there is no screen
reader capable to consistently render the content, it can not be
considered compliant, I think.

For me, "Accessibility Supported" should be understood as "there are
enough user agents (including assistive techonolgy) that can render the
content, and there is enough variety of user agents of this kind that
have no additional cost for a person with a disability, compared to a
person without a disability". Of course, in this context, perhaps
"enough" can be only one unique free user agent that works on a free
operating system.

This has the following consequences:

- Adobe PDF, Adobe Flash and WAI-ARIA can not be considered as
"accessibility supported" until they are supported by user agents and
assistive technology.
- Any technology that is only supported in Windows can not be considered
as "accessibility supported", because Windows is not free, so if users
with a disability are forced to buy Windows, there is an additional cost
for people with disability. The same could be aplicable to Mac platform,
of course.
- Any technology that is only supported by JAWS and/or Window Eyes can
not be considered as "accessibility supported", because these programs
are really expensive, meaning that there is an additional cost for a
disabled person.

Perhaps I am missunderstanding the concept of "accessibility
supported"...? What do you think about it?

Regards,
Ramón Corominas.