Re: Preliminary Results, Web-AIM Screen Reader Survey

From: Ramón Corominas <listas@ramoncorominas.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:34:54 +0100
To: Lloyd Rasmussen <lras@loc.gov>
CC: nfbcs@nfbnet.org, webwatch@accessplace.net, gui-talk@nfbnet.org, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Hi, Lloyd.

I've also sent the following comments to WebAiM, but I think it could be
interesting to share it with the community:

Some comments about the Survey of screen readers...

- When you ask for the screen reader usage, perhaps it would be
interesting to add a nuance for "primary" or "unique" screen reader. I
suppose that advanced users or evaluators don't rely on a screen reader,
but people that always use it rely only on *THE* screenreader they use.
Perhaps the same nuance would be interesting for browsers.

- I think there is a big mistake about the Flash question, because you
are not really evaluating the technology, but the ACTUAL USE of the
technology. I think that if developers used Flash in an accessible
manner, the results would be very different.

So I would not recommend "don't use Flash", but "Use Flash in an
accessible way".

Thanks for this amazing survey :)

Regards,
Ramón