From: "Morten Tollefsen" <morten@medialt.no>
To: "Ramón Corominas" <listas@ramoncorominas.com>; "WAI Interest Group"
<w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:24 PM
Subject: RE: Success Criterion 2.4.7. Focus Order

Hi!

I'm just discussing this with one of our customers.

In most cases "Hidden skip to links" is not a good solution in my opinion.
These links are typically used to help visually impaired to navigate
internally on a page. However screen readers often do not interpret these
jumps perfectly, and screen reader functionallity (e. g. skip past links)
make the jumps not too valuable. This is especially true if a good page
structure (with h-tags etc.) is used.

On the other hand, switch users or keyboard only users often benefit a lot
on "Skip to links" (at least on pages with a lot of links. These users need
to see the links of course. CSS techniques can be used to show focused
links, but this method makes it much more difficult for users to figure out
what to do. They need to press Tab and suddenly a Skip to link is shown. It
is better for keyboard users to see the links and build up a strategy on how
to use the page.

Best regards,

Morten Tollefsen
MediaLT: www.medialt.no
Phone: (+47) 21 53 80 10
Mobile: (+47) 908 99 305
Address: Jerikoveien 22, N-1067 Oslo, Norway