W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ig@w3.org > April to June 2009

Re: Law?

From: <Accessys@smart.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:29:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: richarduserite <richard@userite.com>
cc: Ryan Jean <ryanj@disnetwork.org>, w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0904151126500.29518@fzneg.arg>

so there are slight differences between the UK and USA,

in the USA while it is recommended there is no requirement that one
contact the website owner.  Partially because sometimes it can be next
to impossible to Find the owner it can be hidden under many layers of
sub organizations or mirrors.

the appropriate authorities have many more resources to find the owner
than an individual has.    Also some organizations can have
prochedures that essentially wear out the complaintant that they give
up before actually reaching the person or group responsible (I believe
sometimes that this is the intent, letter of law vs spirit of law)


On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, richarduserite wrote:

> Hi
> You file a lawsuit when you have been penalised by not being able to access the relevant website and you have not recieved a satisfactory response from the site owner.
> This means that first off you must have suffered a disadvantage because your disablity was not taken into account. You can't claim to be disadvantaged just because you can't see my daughter's myspace pages (that is not a disadvantage <G>), but you can complain if the website is offering a service such as supplying information, goods or services to the general public, and you would normally expect to be entitled to be offered a similar service.
> Secondly you need to complain to the site owner and ask that he or she makes the changes needed for you to access the service. Only if you do not receive a satisfactory response to that request can you consider taking legal action. If you are not disabled yourself you can still follow the above steps on behalf of someone who is disabled, or possible, as a general principle, on behalf of disabled people in general.
> Richard Warren
> Technichal Manager
> Userite
> UK
>   ----- Original Message -----
>   From: Ryan Jean
>   To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
>   Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 4:05 PM
>   Subject: Re: Law?
>   How does one know when to file a complaint or lawsuit against a website for not being web accessible? I mean I wouldn't think one would file a lawsuit against a website that was just made by an individual for fun, but against a big name company website yes. So, where is the line in this?
>   Sincerely,
>   Ryan Jean
>   Assistant IT Specialist
>   The Disability Network
>   Flint, MI

occasionally a true patriot must defend his country from its' government
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
   ASCII Ribbon Campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . accessBob
   .NO HTML/PDF/RTF/MIME in e-mail. . . . . . . accessys@smartnospam.net
   .NO MSWord docs in e-mail . . . .. . . . . . Access Systems, engineers
   .NO attachments in e-mail, .*LINUX powered*. access is a civil right
THIS message and any attachments are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privileged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
Received on Wednesday, 15 April 2009 15:30:41 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 13 October 2015 16:21:39 UTC