Re: accessibility supported questions

From: Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 10:52:30 +0200
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

At 20:50 1/04/2009, Matt Morgan-May wrote:
>On 4/1/09 11:25 AM, "Christophe Strobbe"
><christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> > For example, a Maltese user who does not know any foreign
> languages can only
> > access content in Maltese and use software that is localised for Maltese.
> > If there is no accessible user agent (including plugins) that is
> > supported by AT that is available in Maltese (assuming that there are
> > user agents available in Maltese), than Maltese policy makers would better
> > not include that technology in their list of accessibility-supported
> > technologies (if they were making one).
>I think Malta has one bigger obstacle...
> > (...)
>Unless I'm mistaken, there is no screen reader that supports Maltese. I
>think the same is true for Irish, though a cursory look shows there's been
>work on a Gaelic TTS engine. Still, until that work is done, any movement in
>accessible technology (that is, not just web accessibility) in those
>languages is blocked by the absence of suitable screen reader technology.

Absence of essential types of AT is a big obstacle.
With regard to WCAG 2.0 conformance, one can only fall back on a
"Statement of Partial Conformance - Language":
(This type of statement was added during the Candidate Recommendation phase,
during which the WCAG WG received implementations in various languages and
scripts, including Japanese and Chinese.)

Best regards,

Christophe Strobbe
Kasteelpark Arenberg 10 bus 2442
B-3001 Leuven-Heverlee