RE: Accessible online media players

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:58:31 -0600
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Another big problem when using a screen reader and playing a media file
with sound is trying to control the volume of the media separately from
the volume of the screen reader.  I believe that is a screen reader
control feature needed to make playing media files easier.  The only
screen reader that I know of that does this is the prototype from IBM's
Chieko Asakawa called aiBrowser - see
http://www.eclipse.org/actf/downloads/tools/aiBrowser/index.php

. . . Users can also adjust the volume of an individual source in order to
identify and listen to different sound sources without losing track of the
screen-reading software because of the sound of a video. If a content
creator wants to provide a voice narrative for a video, he can write a
text script as a piece of metadata; the tool adds the audio descriptions
by using text-to-speech engines. Future plans for extending this
technology include enabling flexible audio speed control and contributing
this work to an open-source development project. Such contribution will
accelerate development and adoption of tools that make Web-based
multimedia content accessible to the visually impaired. . .

Regards,
Phill Jenkins,