Re: Web accessibility law in China

Hi Henny,

At 12:08 11/11/2008, Henny Swan wrote:
>I'm doing some research around standards within China and support for
>web accessibility. I was wondering if anyone was aware of any existing
>laws around making websites accessible or discussions round upcoming
>law to support access to information within China. Any pointers or
>suggestions would be great.

Are you only thinking of the People's Republic of China or also the
Republic of China (aka Taiwan)?
The governemnt in Taiwan has a "Web Accessibility Service" at
<http://enable.nat.gov.tw/english.do>

According to a Taiwanese presenter at the ICCHP conference in July
this year, the Taiwan Web Accessibility Guidelines are essentially
the same as WCAG 1.0 (but there is no English translation).

An article at
<http://old.npf.org.tw/PUBLICATION/CL/092/CL-R-092-041.htm>
("Accessibility of E-Government Web-Sites in Taiwan", October 2003)
says: "Although Taiwan has not yet developed specific laws or
regulations regarding Web accessibility, it has enacted several
legislations and governmental regulations similar to the ADA."
The situation may have changed since the publication of this article.

Best regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe