Re: WYSIWYG [OT?] :: User Experience (Was: Layout Tables vs. Style Sheets)..

AMEN!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cindy Sue Causey" <butterflybytes@gmail.com>
To: <cdwise@wiserways.com>
Cc: "Harry Loots" <harry.loots@ieee.org>; <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2008 1:28 AM
Subject: WYSIWYG [OT?] :: User Experience (Was: Layout Tables vs. Style
Sheets)..

On 10/7/08, Cheryl D Wise <cdwise@wiserways.com> wrote:

> Many professionals who create web standards based sites use Dreamweaver,
> Expression, TopStyle and many other editors. Not one I know uses Notepad
> because they want color coding, syntax highlighting and code snippets.

I do, I do.. :))

**ONLY** use very basic text editors like Notepad, Wordpad, Editpad..
Doesn't matter what it is for.. For the cognitive reasons that I
occasionally get the chance to toss into the mix out here at W3C..

The "colorized" feature I saw referred to is horribly distracting..
Almost as though it was something in constant motion with respect to
quantifying its level of distractability.. For whatever (cognitive ?)
reason, the eye-to-Brain translation simply does not function for me..
It's pretty.. Just not effective.. :)

And for some reason WYSIWYGs are not my type of Brain activity
friendly *AT ALL*, either.. But don't ask why.. It's just how it is..

No word strong enough to explain the frustration of programs that keep
trying to autocomplete, either.. Most of the time those have a
somewhat readily available toggle switch to access..

Whenever I encounter (the frustration of) autocomplete, I imagine my
friends with visual impairments or dexterity-related disabilities
trying to use the same.. I regularly consciously hope that those who
create such program features keep readily-accessed, alternative
accommodations in high priority consideration for my friends..

As long as I've mentioned autocomplete, there are those rare gems that
change the code behind my back after I've saved files.. Frontpage 2003
and I went round and round over my style sheets just for that reason
not long ago.. Never did find THAT off toggle.. I needed the code set
up a certain way for my Mind to work with it, and Frontpage
unfortunately had its own ideas, albeit and granted, much more
compact.. :GRIN:

To take it slightly further.. The [stairstep] method that is used for
coding..? The Mind is not able to process that, either.. Go figure.. I
can pretty much whip right through a straight line of [code].. Am not
able to, well, let's call it that I experience *EXTREME* difficulty
wading through the much cleaner looking blocks, snippets..

For what it's worth, I know "a number" of people like me out here,
too.. I run into them on various disability accessibility boards..
They are "professional" developers, designers, what-have-you.. :)

Sooo.. Please never say never.. Definitely no such thing as "no one
does" or "everyone does" in the experience of this keyboard, for
sure.. People are wearing all KINDS of different Shoes based on their
lot in Life out here across the WWW..

Cindy Sue :)

- :: -
Celebrating Olmstead * June 22, 1999