Re: Layout Tables vs. Style Sheets

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:50:15 +0100
To: Patti Burke-Lund <pburkelund@yahoo.com>
CC: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Patti Burke-Lund wrote:
>  I had a question come in from
> a student who took a course in Dreamweaver last semester where they were
> given an Adobe Developer Connection tutorial
> (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/first_website_pt2_04.html)
> in creating a page layout with tables for text, graphics, and Flash
> assets.

Adobe Developer Center isn't a remotely good tracker of current
practice, but for an alternative view from the Center, see:

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/dreamweaver/articles/why_css.html (from 2004)

> I was wondering if anyone could share their insight with regard to
> layout tables and accessibility, as well as when the switch occurred
> from layout tables to CSS (i.e., how many years this has been a
> recommended practice).

As long ago as 1997, the HTML 3.2 standard warned that using table
markup "for layout purposes  typically causes problems when rending to
speech or to text only user agents":

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html32#table

There's an interesting chronology of the subject at:

http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/layout_tables/history.htm

Note that the author is a defender of the use of tables for layout.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis