Re: Layout Tables vs. Style Sheets

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 14:37:33 +0100
To: "w3c-wai-ig@w3.org" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Patti Burke-Lund wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could share their insight with regard to
> layout tables and accessibility, as well as when the switch occurred
> from layout tables to CSS (i.e., how many years this has been a
> recommended practice).  Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, as they
> will be added to our class discussion board with proper credit given
> as “guest speakers.”

The classic document on the subject for managers appears to have cropped
up in late 2003 ...

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.hotdesign.com/seybold/

I'd assume that would be a few years after web developers at the
standards end of the curve started to pick up on them, which corresponds
to when I vaguely remember making the switch (although I was a hobbiest
at the time).

So I'd say its been recommended and practical since around the turn of
the century.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/