Re: Graphical search engine can extract information from illustrations in resea

Dear All,

in this context also previous work, we did when I was at the
University Bremen especially targeting blind users, may be useful to
look on:

a) Automated interpretation and accessible presentation of technical
diagrams for blind people
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1117667&dl=GUIDE&coll=GUIDE&CFID=4714959&CFTOKEN=14063806
(Unfortunately only the abstract is available there, but related work
is also under: http://forte.fh-hagenberg.at/Project-Homepages/Blindenhund/conferences/granada/papers/HORSTMANN/horstmann.html)

and

b) Semantic Access to Graphical Web Ressources for Blind Users
http://iswc2004.semanticweb.org/posters/PID-YIHSOXCY-1090249595.pdf

One result of this work was the establishment of an online service at: http://www.kinf.wiai.uni-bamberg.de/research/projects/TeBUB/is/index.html
  that I have to admit is no longer maintained. But we are now seeking
to formalise this in the framework of the EUAIN project (http://www.euain.org
). This project organises a conference on "Adaptive Content
Processing" later this year that is worth considering too. More
details of the conference at: http://www.euain.org/acp08.

Best
George

PS: Sorry for the lengthy, full of links mail.

On 02 Oct 2008, at 11:46, Alan Chuter wrote:

> Thanks Lisa, I hadn't seen that. The authors of the paper are
> evidently behind that tool although it seems to be aimed at
> extracting and analysing data in their particular field
> (environmental chemistry). It would be useful to make the technology
> available as an online service.
>
> cheers,
>
> Alan
>

> Lisa Yayla wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for the information. Read the abstract - dont have full
>> article and wonder if it
>> is refering to the tool TableSeer http://chemxseer.ist.psu.edu/ChemXSeerTableSearch/
>>  a part of ChemSeer http://chemxseer.ist.psu.edu/  ?
>> Regards,
>> Lisa Yayla
>> Huseby Kompetansesenter
>> Oslo Norway
>> lisa.yayla@statped.no <mailto:lisa.yayla@statped.no>

----
Dr.-Ing. George Ioannidis, MBA | IN2 search interfaces development ltd
- http://www.in-two.com | Fahrenheitstrasse 1, D-28359 Bremen | T:
+49-421-2208236, M: +49-179-2286677 | mailto:gi@in-two.com | skype ID:
GI_at_skype