Re: SPAM(6.1) Re: OFF TOPIC - Shame on Google

There is no "accessibility police" in Sweden. Sadly I have to confirm that
my experience tells me that many companies and also many authorities in
Sweden actually have no knowledge to determine if a provider really conforms
to W3C standards and recommendations. Further more, even when they do, the
understanding of these standards and recommendations is poor. Many companies
selling services and applications state that their products and services
conform to W3C standards, but the don't. Out of ignorance or poor knowledge?
That is hard to determine.
There is a goal set, stating that all public service websites in Sweden are
to be accessible to all in the year 2010. This will certainly not happen,
but right this moment the European Union are discussing a new set of laws,
actually demanding that this will become reality. The interesting part is
that the accessibility police is yet to be invented.

On the other hand, take a look at all the web browsers available. None of
them actually supports all W3C standards. All of them have different ways of
interpreting code. This gives us a good idea of how long it will take to
reach the goal of information being accessible to all. If the tools for
rendering the information keep having different ways of interpreting code we
have a long way to go.

I know of one CMS that has taken on the task of following ATAG in a way I've
never seen before. The company behind it is called SenseLogic, and the CMS
is called SiteVision. This tool actually asks users to provide relevant
information to the content, such as alternative texts and correct header
levels. It does this in a way that does not require technical knowledge. I
believe looking at content management systems is the way to do this. Almost
every company and every authority uses one. Their staff will never reach the
level of knowledge to create accessible web based material on their own.
They need a tool to guide them, without concern for technical issues. I do
not work for SenseLogic and I have no connections to them. This is only a
reflection of thoughts on ways of making web accessibility a reality, not a
way of selling a product.

Do you know of other tools providing this posibility?

Joachim Andersson