Re: OFF TOPIC - Shame on Google

sounds about in line with my experiences with Federal websites

Bob

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, William R Williams wrote:

> The law in the USA is called Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act (29
> U.S.C. 794d), as amended by the Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (P.L.
> 105-220), August 7, 1998. It's scope is limited to Federal Departments and
> Agencies. There are no real enforcement mechanisms. Only an "individual
> with a disability may file a complaint alleging that a Federal department
> or agency fails to comply" with the law.
>
> The Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) requires agencies to acquire
> accessible electronic and information unless an exception applies and is
> documented. Across all agencies, an assessment in late-2007 showed that
> only 3% of the solicitations that included electronic and information
> technology properly included the Section 508 standards.
>
> Bill Williams
>

>              David Woolley
>              <forums@david-woo
>              lley.me.uk>                                                To
>              Sent by:                  Joachim Andersson
>              w3c-wai-ig-reques         <joachim.andersson@etu.se>
>              t@w3.org                                                   cc
>                                        "Accessys@smart.net"
>                                        <accessys@smart.net>, Harry Loots
>              09/04/2008 02:36          <harry.loots@ieee.org>, James Craig
>              PM                        <jcraig@apple.com>, John Foliot
>                                        <foliot@wats.ca>, wai-ig list
>                                        <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>,
>                                        "wai-xtech@w3.org WAI-XTECH"
>                                        <wai-xtech@w3.org>,
>                                        webaim-forum@list.webaim.org
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: OFF TOPIC - Shame on Google
>

> Joachim Andersson wrote:
> > If someone hit me in the face I would think twice about making an effort
> > to help him, wouldn't you? I'm from Sweden. The country where everyone's
> > complaining, noone's doing anything about things and the complaints
> > lining up.
> >
> > In my line of work I meet many people with disabilities of all kinds,
> > who are very competent and they're doing a great job working with web
> > accessibility and solutions to help others. But these people are those
> > that don't march and such. They have found other, more effective ways of
> > reaching their goals.
> >
> > I realize the importance of marching and so on, but 1975 is another time
> > than 2008. In Sweden, Canada and the United States there are laws on how
> > accessibility should be a part of development. In Canada and the United
>
> Are they enforced?  In the UK such laws exist but are not enforced.
> Even where companies have policies, when it actually comes to buying,
> the supplier and buyer often find ways to get round them.  The same goes
> for electromagnetic compatibility, a subject dear to the heart of
> another minority, amateur radio operators.
>

> --
> David Woolley
> Emails are not formal business letters, whatever businesses may want.
> RFC1855 says there should be an address here, but, in a world of spam,
> [...]

-
end
occasionally a true patriot must defend his country from its' government
safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
   ASCII Ribbon Campaign. . . . . . . . . . . . accessBob
   .NO HTML/PDF/RTF/MIME in e-mail. . . . . . . accessys@smartnospam.net
   .NO MSWord docs in e-mail . . . .. . . . . . Access Systems, engineers
   .NO attachments in e-mail, .*LINUX powered*. access is a civil right