RE: Alternative Formats

From: Phill Jenkins <pjenkins@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:03:30 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
>  . . . I was referring to all formats, such as visual, audio, and
written. I do see where all 3
> of these would fall into web accessibility. Visual for graphics, audio
for sound, and
 > written for downloading files as PDF or TXT. Do you agree?

Well, I would expand your simple list to also include the following,
quoted from Understand WCAG:

Controls, Input: If non-text content is a control or accepts user input,
then it has a name that describes its purpose. (Refer to Guideline 4.1 for
additional requirements for controls and content that accepts user input.)

Time-Based Media: If non-text content is time-based media, then text
alternatives at least provide descriptive identification of the non-text
content. (Refer to Guideline 1.2 for additional requirements for media.)
Test: If non-text content is a test or exercise that must be presented in
non-text format, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive
identification of the non-text content.
Sensory: If non-text content is primarily intended to create a specific
sensory experience, then text alternatives at least provide descriptive
identification of the non-text content.
CAPTCHA: If the purpose non-text content is to confirm that content is
being accessed by a person rather than a computer, then text alternatives
that identify and describe the purpose of the non-text content are
provided, and alternative forms of CAPTCHA using output modes for
different types of sensory perception are provided to accommodate
different disabilities.
Decoration, Formatting, Invisible: If non-text content is pure decoration,
is used only for visual formatting, or is not presented to users, then it
is implemented in a way that it can be ignored by assistive technology.

Regards,
Phill Jenkins
IBM Research - Human Ability & Accessibility Center
http://www.ibm.com/able