Re: Commands and Accessibility

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:15:12 +0100
To: 'wai-ig list' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Firstly, note that the original of this and another one that I've just
replied to were incorrectly CCed to the list bounce address.  I've
copied the mistake on those two :-(.

Peter Thiessen wrote:

> Interesting, could you elaborate on  Standards like ARIA try to get
> round this, but I can't imagine it will be much used in the cases that
> really need it.?  Which cases would these be? Ive found ARIA to be
> quite extensible but only in a small domain.

My knowledge of ARIA is currently second hand, and I am a consumer with
knowledge of HTML internals, rather than a professional creator of HTML.

However, as I understood it, one of the main purposes of ARIA was to
identify what a control would be if a document were written in true
semantic HTML, rather than using HTML to produce a particular "user
experience" (of the author dictated kind) - e.g. if a link acts as a
command, ARIA would mark it as a button.  As such, it would be most
important in highly designed web sites, but my suspicion is that the
designers of such sites would be the least likely to care about the
semantics, and I think are often very visual people who would have
difficulty describing the semantics.

--
David Woolley