Re: WCAG2 Conformance Questions

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:04:47 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Ryan Jean wrote:

> Usually when I see printer friendly links, it results in a pop-up. If I

In my experience the need for a printer friendly page indicates that the
original page is not accessible, or at least, that the designer doesn't
understand CSS.  I would suggest that most accessible pages only need
@media to print properly using the basic browser print functionality.

Some specific reasons why people might want an explicit printer friendly
page are:

- open source browsers could be tweaked to give a printer like handling
on display media, resulting in the suppression of advertising
(advertising is commonly removed in the printer friendly version).  In
that case, there may be a static printer friendly version, but it won't
be shown to search engines;

- there seems to be a big psychological need amongst designers to turn
their documents into mini web browsers and eliminate the standard
browser controls.

> were to have it link like that, the content would have to be duplicated
> on a separate page, which I donít want to do. Do you know server-side
> scripting that will hide the content of the other cells? And not only
> that, but make them act like they arenít even there?

David Woolley