Re: JavaScript and Screen Readers

From: David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 22:04:58 +0100
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

Isofarro wrote:

> This has nothing to do with Java. If you feel you need to contact the
> organisation responsible/taking care for JavaScript, then you need to
> contact ECMA, but I doubt you will find the answer there. Perhaps a

ECMA only specify ECMAScript, the core programming language and the
non-document, non-brower, supporting library.  Most of what actually
causes problems is in the document and browser object models, whose
origins are in a de facto standard by Netscape, since expanded by
Microsoft, although parts of them (but not, for example, document

> better place will be Mozilla's accessibility mailing list, since Mozilla
> is the direct descendent of Netscape Corporation which originally
> created the JavaScript language. Aaron Lowenthal is probably the best
> placed person to talk to about accessible JavaScript.

In practice, W3C's attempts to make people manipulate the DOM as a tree
structure have been ignored, by the market, in favour of load time
document.write and Microsoft's InnerHTML.

David Woolley