Fwd: Dick Banks: EASI loses a valued friend and great colleague

Dear WAI IG Participants:

For those of you who are familiar with the great work that Dick Banks
and Norm Coombs have done as co-leaders of Equal Access to Software
and Information (EASI), including education and training around Web
accessibility, I thought you might want to know the sad news of
Dick's passing yesterday.

I've included a forward of Norm's message, below.

With sad regards,

- Judy

>Date:         Wed, 9 Jul 2008 07:48:34 -0700
>Sender: Equal Access to Software & Information <EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG>
>From: Prof Norm Coombs <norm.coombs@GMAIL.COM>
>Subject: Dick Banks: EASI loses a valued friend and great colleague
>To: EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG
>
>Hello EASI friends and colleagues:
>
>Please forgive the duplicate postings, but I know you all will want
>to know that Dick died yesterday.  This leaves a giant hole in the
>life of EASI and in my life as well.  Dick is my best friend.
>
>Dick was diagnosed with cancer in early April, if I recall.  Even
>since then he had many good days when he was back on the
>Internet.  These were among his happiest days the last 3 months as
>working and helping others were the things that filled his life with joy.
>
>Dick could learn new software like no one I know.  He loved to take
>its technical confusions and often opaque manuals and make those
>technology items easy for people to understand.  He also had a
>contagious optimism and sense of humor.  He was a man of integrity
>and never was satisfied to do a mediocre job.
>
>God has blessed me to have Dick as a best friend and working buddy.
>
>I ask you all to remember his family at this time.
>
>You can read about Dick's bout with Cancer at the Care Page from the
>Mayo Clinic at:
>http://www.carepages.com/mayoclinic
>You will need to register.  After which search for his page.  The
>name of the page is DicksJourney and note that is one word with no
>punctuation and does have a capital D and a capital J
>
>If you want to contact Dick's wife, Carol, the address is:
>310 Micheels Ln APT 1
>Menomonie, WI 54751
>
>You can also leave a message on the Care Page message Board.
>
>Norm Coombs
>norm.coombs@gmail.com
>I want to thank you all for your support of Dick's and my work.

MIT/CSAIL Building 32-G526
32 Vassar Street
Cambridge, MA,  02139,  USA