Re: Template for Accessible Web Page

Hi Marguerite,

On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 13:08 -0400, M. Urban wrote:
> I'm setting up a web page for an advocacy group (not-for-profit with
> charitable status, but not much budget).  We want to incorporate
> accessibility features, but tech-savvy level is low.  It would be
> great to be able to work with a template for an accessible web page.
> Any ideas?

As far as accessibility is concerned, nothing beats knowing how to use
standards-compliant, semantic markup (HTML or XHTML). There are plenty
of learning resources on the Web for the searching. A lot of people seem
to like htmldog.com--I don't know too much about it, and if it fails to
live up to its reputation I'm sure someone on the list will let us know.

The great thing about semantic, accessible HTML is that it is a lot
easier to learn and write than inaccessible HTML. Do you have a
paragraph? Mark it up as a paragraph. Do you have an ordered list of
items? Mark it up as an ordered list.

There are many, many examples (for inspiration, rather than for copying)
examples of accessible sites available if you go through the member
profiles at the Guild of Accessible Web Designers
(http://www.gawds.org/listmembers.php).

Bets of luck and have fun.

Chris