Re: Alternate for Captcha - Need suggestions

From: Scott Plumlee <scott@plumlee.org>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 14:10:02 -0400
To: "Bailey, Bruce" <Bailey@access-board.gov>
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org

On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 12:37 PM, Bailey, Bruce <Bailey@access-board.gov> wrote:

>  Since no one has mentioned it yet, one of my favorite techniques is:
>
>  > Enter the word "orange" (required)
>
>  You can find this example following any of the comment links from this
>  blog:
>  http://rephrase.net/
>
>  Apparently, it does not take much to defeat a bot.

Bruce Schneier has a saying - all security is a tradeoff.  Here, you
have a tradeoff between accessibility and security.  If your site
becomes popular enough and it's financially worth it to crack your
captcha/captcha alternative, it'll be cracked.  I'd go with the
simplest possible solution you can come up with that's the most
accessible, since that's your target audience, and toughen it up as
needed.