From: Marjolein Katsma [mailto:iamback4now@yahoo.com]
Sent: Mon 4/21/2008 6:58 AM
To: Robert Yonaitis
Cc: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: What's up with Cynthia Says?

--- Robert Yonaitis <ryonaitis@hisoftware.com> wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> I agree that contacting HiSoftware by using the contact us link at
> the top of  the CynthiaSays web site is the way to go, here is the
> link again. http://www.hisoftware.com/co/contacting_us.htm
> <http://www.hisoftware.com/co/contacting_us.htm>  .

And which of the options on that (obviously commercial) page is for
feedback and reporting problems with Cynthia Says? If that page really
is "the way to go" then that option should be mentioned on that page -
it isn't.

> As for the specific question that was posed as related to "the
> inability to
>  change options for report type." I personally checked this on three
> different browsers and could not recreate the issue.

That's not what I reported. I can change options any way I like, but
the resulting *report* still only checks level 1, and marks *all* items
under level 2 and level 3 as "N/V" meaning "not selected for
validation".

> When Contacting HiSoftware support it would help if you provided
> detailed information related to your test:
>
> 1. Browser you are using
> 2. Page you are testing
> 3. Time of test so we can check the logs
>
> These all matter because they are generally needed to recreate the
> reported issue.

Page (any page) and time of test can be provided (once I know which to
which email address to provide those!). It cannot be a browser issue,
though, the parameters *are* specified and *are* sent to the server. I
verified that.

> As for support Cynthia Says is not only well supported but recently
> had an upgrade to the datacenter and servers that she resides on.
> This support does not waiver in fact it grows.

Great. So what happened to the user forum? There is no link, and
searching for it leads to one, dead link. That, combined with an
incomplete report and no clear way to give feedback or report bugs
doesn't *look* like there is any support.

> Community is a big part of CynthiaSays so please send feedback to the
> HiSoftware contacts listed on the contact us page.

Which contacts, please? (plural, even?) I will, once I know where to
send it.

No community can be discerned. A forum, if it existed, could help build
a community but it is apparently non-existant, even though it's
mentioned (but never linked to).

> Additionally many people never see the site as other toolbars simply
> add a link to the report and all you see is the report.

Of course. But I went to the site in the first place to try to figure
out why level 2 and 3 were no longer checked when I used it from the
Firefox developer toolbar. As it turns out, the developer toolbar sends
the same parameters as the form does when specifying level 1, 2 and 3.
Playing around with those, did not help either, nor did trying
different GET parameters in the URL. And then I poked around for a long
time trying to find a way to report the problem.

I can only conclude one thing: The problem is not with *specifying* the
parameters in any way. The problem is with what the server does with
those parameters.

So please let us know *which contact address(es)* to use to report
these problems. Merely pointing to the "contact us" page is not helpful
since absolutely NOTHING on that page suggests any of the addresses can
or should be used for feedback on Cynthia Says. I would suggest you at
least mention "Cynthia Says" on that page, and preferably give a
specific address for feedback.

--
Marjolein Katsma
Info: http://marjoleinkatsma.com/personal/

Be a better friend, newshound, and

The information in this transmittal (including attachments, if any) is privileged and confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above.  Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this transmittal is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient.  If you have received this transmittal in error, please notify me immediately by reply
 email and destroy all copies of the transmittal.  Thank you.