De: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] En nombre
de Alan Chuter
Enviado el: viernes, 14 de diciembre de 2007 11:13
Para: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Asunto: Wheeling in SL video (text transcript)

Thanks for sharing this. I think it's excellent. However, my colleagues who
are not native English speakers had trouble understanding the speech (as
would deaf people), so I did a quick text transcript which I share here.
It's too long to go in a comment on YouTube. Pity they don't allow for
transcripts.

[Caption: Wheeling in Second Life]
Judith: I work during the day, so when I come home I've only got like a
couple of hours. So by the time I do my own emails and correspondence that
comes in during the day I might have forty-five minutes or an hour to do
whatever, so
Russ: And what's your current really big thing on the Web that you're into?
Judith: Second Life. I've got a wheelchair in Second Life. You can choose
whether you want to be in a wheelchair or not.You can have crutches, you can
have whatever disability you have in real life in Second Life.
Russ: Do you always stay in your wheelchair in second life?
Judith: No, no, no.
Russ: Are there many other people in wheelchairs in Second Life?
Judith: Simon Walsh.
Russ: From the UK?
Judith: Yes. And he always stays in his wheelchair. Just like in real life,
I find the attitude of people in Second Life is disappointing. I have run an
experiment myself. I've gone to this [?] website and this able bodied person
got out on the dance floor and danced with different avatars and different
people for half an hour or whatever you call them. Then I've gone away, put
myself in my wheelchair, gone back, the same people were there and they
didn't want to know me.
Russ: Are there special places in Second Life where people in wheelchairs
hang out.
Judith: Yes, "Wheelies".
Russ: And what's Wheelies.
Judith: That's a nightclub specially built people, by a man who has cerebral
palsy, in the UK.
Russ: Can you take us to it?
Judith: yes.
[Wheelies was started by Simon]
Judith: Unfortunately like real life you've got to go around things because
you can't go through them. You can fly over them. Oh, there's Simon!.
Russ: He's in there is he?
Judith: Yes. He was there before, in there [...]
[Caption: How many people visit "Wheelies"?] [On-screen dialog: (asking how
many people visit Wheelies each week) "Wheelie or norm?" Few 100 I guess.]
Judith: When I first started we got a couple of hundred.
[Caption: Going up to the dance floor.]
Judith: Is that Simon up there? The avatar... [looking to other screen]
that's him in real life.
Russ: And he was on big brother?
Judith: Yes, in the UK. [turning towards dance floor] And that's the DJ,
that girl in there, green, and she [plays?...] the DJ there. And she talks
to you over that thing in there.
Russ: Oh, right?
Judith: And [she's] talking to me.
Russ: do you think that this will be a really useful tool for people who are
unable to get around, who have problems of mobility in real life?
Judith: Yes, because you can have friends without having to go out and
physically find them.

best regards,

Alan Chuter
Technosite (Fundosa Group),