Re: web accessibility: reports from Québec and Belgium

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:57:06 +0100
To: "David Woolley" <forums@david-woolley.me.uk>, "WAI Interest Group" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 14:50:20 +0100, David Woolley
<forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:

> David Woolley wrote:
>> I have several times seen this used as excuse for using pixels. I've
>> also seen the zoom facility (which introduces scrolling problems) as
>> excuse for allowing pixels (and that from one of the major W3C list
>> contributors).
> For completeness, this is the article to which I was alluding:
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2007Nov/0086.html>
> This is by one of main developers of Opera saying that pixels sizes are
> not an accessibility problem, except with IE, with the implication that
> zooming mitigates all problems.

Calling Lachy one of the main developers at Opera is stretching
credibility a little. He's only been there ten weeks, and he actually
works on Quality Assurance and on Standards. But anyway...

He's right in his claim - px are not inherently a problem for scaling.
Opera and Amaya have both been scaling them happily for years. And I don't
know what you are using to read the further implication that somehow zoom
alone solves all further problems - it isn't anywhere in the message you

Px can complicate things like user styling or interesting liquid layouts.
In the real world the problem is slowly decreasing, as things like Opera's
fit-to-width resolve more complex problems too. If the second most popular
browser has now got the basics right, I guess we can expect the problems
to go away in maybe half a decade, or perhaps a bit faster if people could
easily switch to a browser that actually suits their needs.

http://my.opera.com/chaals              Try the Kestrel - Opera 9.5 alpha