RE: User Testing of Accessiblity Features

From: Andrew Kirkpatrick <akirkpat@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 07:59:36 -0700
To: "Alastair Campbell" <ac@nomensa.com>, "Debi Orton" <oradnio@wsg.net>
Cc: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>, "WAI Interest Group list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "www-archive" <www-archive@w3.org>

> I generally agree with Andrew, it's difficult to assess by
> usability testing, although on this point:
> > This is very important for linked images, but of questionable value
> for
> > images that are not."
>
> I think a lot of images in this scenario would be linked,
> often to larger versions of scaled-down images. It would be
> difficult to distinguish useful from not useful on that basis.

In my  view, linked images always need an alt value, except when there
is other text in the link that clarifies the link purpose.  In your
example, the alt wouldn't really help users that are totally blind, but
would help users who have some vision and use a screen reader and
magnifier, so they'd be able to see the enlarged image.

AWK