RE: User Testing of Accessiblity Features

Tim wrote:
> If it is just eye candy, it is not html content, call it as a
> background image from the stylesheet rules.

Please refer to the original comments on testing:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Aug/0577.html

Not to mention when I said:
> The issue at hand is not spacers, but content images that do not have
> useful alts, and no realistic means of adding them.

The reasons I believe it would be difficult to test in that fashion are:
- Order effects need to be balanced, you're actually trying to do a
comparison test with three different states.
- Individual differences between participants are likely to be high, not
only due to the effect Debi Orton noted, but due to different
technologies and settings.
- The responses you are looking for are experience based and quite
subjective, the test-setup could massively bias the results. (In fact,
just asking the setup and questions will indicate what sort of response
you are looking  for.)

In this situation you would be better looking at a persona driven
method, or simply making sure that there is a requirement for reasonable
replacements.
(I'd recommend reading the notes on Guideline 1 in
http://wcagsamurai.org/errata/errata.html)

Kind regards,

-Alastair

--
Nomensa - humanising technology

Alastair Campbell         |  Director of User Experience
t. +44 (0)117 929 7333    |  m. +44 (0)7970 879 653

Defacto, the first fully accessible content management system:
http://www.defacto-cms.com/

Nomensa Email Disclaimer:
http://www.nomensa.com/email-disclaimer.html
Nomensa Ltd, 13 Queen Square, Bristol BS1 4NT
GB 771727411, Company number: 4214477