Re: posted without comment...

John Foliot wrote:
> Hey Lachlan (JERK!),

John, I do not think it is constructive to resort to name calling simply
because we share different opinions on how best to address accessibility
issues.

> regarding your question
> [http://krijnhoetmer.nl/irc-logs/whatwg/20070701#l-225]:
>
> "<Lachy> why is it that when accessibility advocates can't come up with a
> rational argument, they always fall back to the legal stick?  "
>
> Here's your rational argument: all humans are equal, and they should be
> treated as such.  Any argument that attempts to counter that basic tenet is
> simply irrational, and in most countries, illegal.

I fully agree with making the web accessible.  I have never argued
against accessibility because equality isn't necessary.  I think you are
misrepresenting my opinion and then attacking me for it.

My problem with the legal argument is that if the only way to get people
to use accessibility features is by forcing them with legal threats,
then the design of the feature has failed.  In other words, I do not
believe legislation is the most effective way to enhance accessibility
on the web.

I believe it is much more effective to design features with built-in
accessibility, where possible, or design features that authors will want
to use for reasons well beyond legal threats.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/