RE: Detecting Assistive technology

From: John Foliot - Stanford Online Accessibility Program <jfoliot@stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 11:37:48 -0800
To: <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>

Accessys@smart.net wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 Anna.Yevsiyevich@kohls.com wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to detect if a web user is using Assistive Technology?
>
> NO!

Actually, Bob is somewhat wrong, as the correct answer is sometimes, maybe,
you can detect some types of AT (I know, wonderfully vague...)

Using Flash and MSAA, you can sniff for a screen reader
[http://weblogs.macromedia.com/accessibility/archives/2003/07/screen_reader_
d.cfm].

Now before Bob gets his Linux knickers in a knot, this of course presumes
the presence of Windows-centric software, which we all know is not always
the case (and Bob is well known for reminding us <grin>).

So while the answer may be a technical yes, it is a qualified,
maybe/sometimes yes, and not a "bank your paycheck on it" yes.

I will echo the other respondents however by also asking why?  It is a
slippery slope to start trying to develop to a technology... Don't!  Develop
to standards, and then those same technologies will have a standardized
content to process... A much better solution all 'way round.

JF